Contact Dave Latham (01606-836975 / 07855-573073) E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In July 2015, Dave Latham took over the role of England Gundog Retriever Captain from John Halstead, a role which he feels extremely honoured to take on.
Dave had always been interested in country pursuits, mainly ferreting and long netting with his Dad as a young lad. In 1978 Dave's Dad bought him his first labrador, a black bitch called Gunstock Sall. She probably caught more rabbits than he could shoot in those days! Dave left school in 1981 and started work as an apprentice coach builder at Rolls Royce (now Bentley Motors).
Some years later a friend asked Dave if he would like to watch a field trial at the Checkley Wood shoot, run by Ivor Beavis and his son Nick near Nantwich. He didn't know what to expect and was amazed at what a labrador could do. So that night Dave picked up the phone, called Sandra Halstead and reserved a black Labrador called Drakeshead Matt.
In 1989 after many many hours of training, Dave and Matt entered their first novice trial with the Three Ridings Labrador Retriever Club, and were lucky to bring the winning trophy home.
"That was it - I'd caught the bug!"
To date Dave has made up five Field Trial Champions and qualified for the IGL a staggering fifteen times, winning it three times:
- The first, FTCH Fobbingacres Sunny, qualified four times for the IGL Retriever Championship.
- The second, FTCH Drakeshead Deana, won her first two-day open stake at seventeen months old, one of the youngest dogs to run in the championship! She also qualified for four championships and in 2003 Deana won the IGL Retriever Championship at Sandringham.
- The third, FTCH Mediterian Blue also qualified for four IGL Retriever Championships.
- FTCH Mediterian Blue sired the dog who so far has won a staggering two IGL Championships - FTCH Delfleet Neon of Fendawood. Dell, who won a novice stake, a one-day open stake, a two-day open stake and then won the 2010 IGL Retriever Championship at Sandringham all in his first season. Dell was only two and a half years old at the time, the youngest dog or bitch at the championship. He is one of the three youngest dogs ever to win the Championship.
- The youngest winners are:
- In 1938, Mr L. Lonsdales "Greatford Shy", 19 months old.
- In 1949 Mr J. Annands' FTCH Glenhead Zuider, 21 months old.
- In 2010 Mr D. S. Latham's FTCH Delfleet Neon of Fendawood, 24 months old.
Dell won the Kennel Club two-day Open Field Trial in 2012, and went on to win the IGL for a second time that same year. Dell was also winner of the Kennel Club two-day Open Field Trial in 2013, qualifying yet again for the IGL, gaining a Diploma of Merit. What a truly remarkable dog!
- FTCH Lesser Burdock Abbotstone (Magnum) has most recently become the 2014 Italian Retriever Champion. With this, Dave Latham became the first Englishman ever to win the title.
Right: Gundog Gear's Gary McCarthy & Dave Latham at the 2013 England team selection day, courtesy of John & Sandra Halstead (Dave qualified again!)
Dave has a small kennel, training only four dogs at any one time. They all go picking up and enjoy their training on summer evenings and weekends. Currently the following dogs are standing at The Fendawood Stud:-
*FTCH MEDITERIAN BLUE
Hips 4/5 total of 9, current eye cert, GPRA, CNM & EIC clear.
Blue qualified 4 times for the I.G.L Retriever Championship and was top dog at the CLA Game Fair 2008 and at the Home International. He was also a member of the winning English team at the Skinners World Cup.
Blue is out of FTW Drakeshead Evie and is by my brother Andy’s FTCH Endacott Shelf, who was top dog at the CLA game fair in 2000, top dog at the Skinners‘ World Cup in 2002 and qualified twice for the I.G.L Retriever Championship. Drakeshead Evie was also full sister to my 2003 I.G.L Retriever Championship winning bitch FTCH Drakeshead Deana.
“I feel this proves that success is in the breeding and is passed down from generation to generation.” David Latham
*FTCH DELFLEET NEON OF FENDAWOOD
*2 times IGL Champion (2010 & 2012) FTCh Delfleet Neon of Fendawood (by FTCh Mediterian Blue): hips 3/6 total 9, elbows 0/0, current eye cert, GPRA, CNM & EIC clear.
Dell was born on 2nd June 2008, bred by Mr.S.Crisp, and a son of my own FTCH Mediterian Blue whom I bred myself.
*2010 I.G.L Retriever Championship Winner
*2012 I.G.L. Retriever Championship Winner
*Diploma of Merit in 2013 I.G.L. Retriever Championship
Since 1984, which is now known as the Modern Era according to Graham Cox & Dr. Gareth Davies fabulous book 'The Best of the Best,' Dell has joined a small number of dogs who have recieved three or more awards at the I.G.L. championship:-
- Mr. John Halstead's FTCH Breeze of Drakeshead qualified 5 times, achieving a DOM in 1984 and winning a staggering 3 consecutive championships in 1985, 1986 and 1987.
- Mr. Dave Garbutt‘s FTCH Pocklea Remus qualified 4 times, gaining a 2nd in 1989, a 3rd in 1990 and winning the IGL in 1991
- Mr.R.S. Webb‘s FTCH Seasway Faldo of Birdbrook qualified 5 times, gaining a DOM in 1993, 1994, 1996 and 1998.
- Mrs A. Heywood’s Lonsdale`s FTCH Ulstare Style / Handler Mr. J.W. Halsted qualified 7 times, achieving 4th in 1994, 2nd in 1997, a DOM in 1998 and 2nd in 1999
- Mrs. Sandra Halstead‘s FTCH Levenghyl Silvercloud qualified 4 times, coming 3rd in 2008, 4th in 2009 and 3rd in 2010.
- Mrs. C.D. Finlan‘s FTCH Cherwood Ace of Spades / Handler Mr. J.W. Halsted qualified 3 times, coming 2nd in 2009, 4th in 2010 and 2nd in 2011,
- Mr. D.S. Latham‘s FTCH Delfleet Neon of Fendawood qualified 4 times, winning the Championship in 2010, winning again in 2012 and gaining a Diploma Of Merit in 2013.
"I feel immensely proud to join this very select list of handlers and dogs." David Latham
2010: Dell‘s 1st year trialling
13th August 2010: Dell gained a 3rd in a novice trial with The Scottish Gundog Association at Delnadamph estate , Cargarff. Later that month he gained a 2nd in a novice trial with The Scottish Field Trial Association
6th September 2010: Dell won a novice trial with Tyne Tee’s & Tweed Field Trial Association at Arkengarthdale
5th October 2010: Dell gained a 3rd in a one day open with The Cheshire, North Wales , Shropshire Retriever/ Spaniel Society at the Checkley Wood shoot.
6th October 2010: Dell won a one day open with United Gundog Breeders Association at Shropshire.
20th & 21st October 2010: Dell won a two day open with The Scottish Gundog Association at Snaigow, Perth
7th, 8th & 9th December 2010: Dell won The I.G.L Retriever Championship at the Sandringham Estate, Norfolk
In 2010 Dell was joint winner of The Routledge Rank Retriever Perpetual Challenge Cup for over all best trialling dog or bitch of the season.
Dell was qualified for the I.G.L. by being the 2010 defending champion.
1st October 2012: Dell won a two day open with The Clywd Retriever Club at the Checkley Wood Shoot .
20th October 2012: Dell gained a 2nd in an one day open with The Cheshire,North Wales, Shropshire Retriever/ Spaniel Society at Checkley Wood Shoot
29th & 30th October 2012: Dell won The Kennel Club two day open at Grinkle Park
26th, 27th & 28th November 2012: Dell won The I.G.L. Retriever Championship at Cawdor Estate, Invernesshire
Again Dell won The Routledge Rank Retriever Perpetual Challange Cup for over all best Trailling dog or bitch of the season .
14th – 15th October 2013: Dell won The Kennel Club two day open at Glen Almond, Perth (again!)
18th November: Dell gained a 2nd in a one day open with The Shropshire Gundog Society at Checkley Wood Shoot .
25th, 26th & 27th November 2013: Dell gained a Diploma of Merit at the I.G.L. Retriever Championship at Lauder Scotland.
"With the fantastic achievement of qualifying Dell four times for the I.G.L. Retriever Championship by the age of five , I am looking forward to next year's season." Dave Latham
Dell‘s England Caps :
August 2010: Dell was a member of the English winning retriever team at the Angelsey Show
May 2012: Dell was member of the winning English team at the Skinners World Cup in Highclere
July 2012: Dell was a member of the English team for CLA game fair, which was unfortunately cancelled due to bad weather .
July 2013: Dell was a member of the winning English team for the CLA game fair at Ragley Hall.
*FTCH LESSER BURDOCK ABBOTSTONE
*FTCH Lesser Burdock Abbotstone (By FTCH Greenbriar Viper of Drakeshead out of Ragweed´s Trace) Winner of the January 2014 Italian Retriever Championship
Hips A/A Elbow 0/0 Shoulder 0/0 , Eyes clear 2014 , pra & cnm clear
FTW BEILEYS AGUZANNIS OF FENDAWOOD
Winner of the 2016 IGL Retriever Championship
Hips A/A, Elbow 0/0, Shoulder 0/0, Eyes clear December 2013, PRA & CNM clear.